If you've been following me or my blog at all, you know that last week, I launched the crowdfunding campaign for my ethical clothing line Sunshine & Bravado via IndieGoGo. This is my first produced collection, it's sewn by women in Kentucky and hand dyed by me using natural, plant based dyes right here in Columbus, Ohio. All of the fabric is sustainably and ethically sourced, mainly organic cotton and hemp, and mostly grown in the USA.
And if that wasn't enough, I'm also pairing up with TWO different non-profit organizations so I can donate a portion of clothing sales to their causes. They are:
Survivor's Ink, a Columbus based non-profit which helps survivors of human trafficking reclaim their bodies, by covering up scars and brands with tattoos. [photo via the Guardian]
and Love Yourself Project NYC, an NYC based art therapy nonprofit centering on self love. [photos via their website]
Here's a rundown about the campaign:
- The campaign goal is $3,500.
- This will cover factory patterns & samples, beautiful fabric, dyes, labor, legal costs, and upgrading the website to support e-commerce.
- If you donate to the campaign, you can choose your "reward". Rewards include personal thank you postcards, limited edition screenprinted tote bags, and a pre-sale of the full run of the collection. This means that you will be able to own a piece from the collection WAY before everyone else!
- This collection is carefully designed to flatter and fit a wide range of sizes and body types.
- This collection is seasonless, which means that it is not particular to a certain season, weather, or time of year, but the styles are meant for layering and wearing all year round, not for being a slave to the fashion system!
- This collection is made in the USA, which means it is creating jobs and making sure that garment industry workers are working in a safe environment, being paid a living wage, and doing what they love.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you are unable to contribute financially right now, I totally understand (though even one dollar helps!) Here are some other ways to help if you are feeling the vibes of my mission:
- Get the word out about the campaign. Share photos, share my video, share the link on social media! Tell all your friends! This will not be possible without you, and any tiny contribution or act of sharing counts.
- Use the Indiegogo Share Tools!
Get in Touch
www.sunshineandbravado.com // @sunshineandbravado on Instagram
#sunshineandbravado #ethicalfashion #fashionrevolution #whomademyclothes
This collection has been my dream for a long time, and I've been working on it for almost a year. All I want is to see this collection come to life, to create jobs and work with nonprofits, and to share it with the world.
XOXO Nikki Dee!
- what's your biggest dream?
- are you part of the #fashionrevolution?